Thursday, March 22, 2012

The Year Was...1989




Random Playlist For 1989:
1. Pixies-Monkey Gone To Heaven
If the devil is 6....then god is 7.
2. The Stone Roses-Waterfall
Ethereal, pretty, one of many reasons The Stone Roses hit a giant nerve in the UK.
3. Biz Markie-Just A Friend
One of the great one hit wonders of the 80's.
4. Love & Rockets-So Alive
 The sinister beat and straight forward lyrics make it a memorable hit.
5. Motley Crue-Dr. Feelgood
When al is said and done, the singles from Dr. Feelgood aren't that bad, are they?
6. Aerosmith-Love In An Elevator
Where Aerosmith hit their second wind full stride.
7. Lenny Kravitz-Let Love Rule
And now he's a movie star in The Hunger Games...you've got to let love RULE!
8. Soul II Soul-Back To Life
This has always been a breezy single I've enjoyed., even if it wreaks 1989.
9. Fine Young Cannibals-She Drives Me Crazy
Roland Gift...he had a great gift of bringing some soul back to pop.
10. The Cult-Fire Woman
Smoke she is a rising...
11. Beastie Boys-Hey Ladies
Every song on "Paul's Boutique" is a winner. Let's just go with the most well known.
12. The Cure-Lullaby
It's campy, but creepy. A strange anomaly on "Disintegration". But oh so good....


7 Albums Worth Revisiting From 1989:
1. The Cure-Disintegration
2. Pixies-Doolittle
3. The Beastie Boys-Paul's Boutique
4. The Stone Roses-The Stone Roses
5. De La Soul-3 Feet High And Rising
6. Janet Jackson-Rhythm Nation 1814
7. Bob Mould-Workbook






Random Quote From A Song From 1989:
"Makes you want to feel, makes you want to try, makes you want to pull the stars from the sky"
"I could die and I wouldn't mind"

Random Thoughts On A Song From 1989:
The first concert I was ever supposed to go to was The Dead Milkmen. It was sometime in the spring of 1989. My dad drove me and three of my high school friends to Oakland to see the show. When we got to the door, it turned out they canceled the concert (Rumored too drunk to perform), and backup plans included Denny's and Tom Hanks' "The Burbs". My first concert ended up being Jimmy Page a month later, followed by Rush in the summer. If The Dead Milkmen let me down in the spring of 1989, I can look back at "Punk Rock Girl" still and grin. The youthful, teenage verses about finding love with a girl...going to the mall, the record store, looking for Mojo Nixon, jumping on the table and screaming anarchy, wanting hot tea at a pizzeria but finding out they only have it iced...all those verses take me back to being 15. A year where the possibilities were out there, but I was nowhere near attaining yet. Hell, I didn't even my license yet. So the next time you listen to "Punk Rock Girl", I hope you're reminded of the jubilation of youth. And I hope you enjoy the bouncy, awkward guitar solo. Like so many bands that strike a chord for a short moment, The Dead Milkmen take their place in my book as a band that shouldn't have canceled their concert at The Electric Banana. It would've been much cooler to say it was the first show I'd ever attended. But at least I still have "Punk Rock Girl" to remind me of those days. Who didn't want a punk rock girl?
"Fudge Banana Swirl..."

Source: http://www.jhostation.com/2012/03/year-was1989.html

Liquid Blue The Orchids Frou Frou Jeremy Jay

No comments:

Post a Comment