Friday, March 23, 2012

The Year Was...1993

Random Playlist For 1993:
1. Beck-Loser
1993, the year to get crazy with the cheese whiz...
2. Cypress Hill-Insane In The Brain
I still love the break with the organ in the last chorus and playing that trumpet.
3. Liz Phair-Divorce Song
It could be the best divorce song ever. And a lighter is stolen...
4. Urge Overkill-Sister Havana
Urge Overkill..now I remember 1993.
5. Nirvana-All Apologies
The bittersweet goodbye from Cobain
6. Sheryl Crow-All I Wanna Do
Where it all started for Sheryl Crow. Lighthearted and a tad bit cheesy now.
7. The Flaming Lips-She Don't Use Jelly
Never forget: The Flaming Lips made it big with a song about self pleasure.
8. The Breeders-Cannonball
Just a great bass line, and a second song in this playlist involving a bong.
9. Wu Tang Clan-C.R.E.A.M.
Does cash really move everything around you? Dollar dollar billz y'all.
10. Lenny Kravitz-Are You Gonna Go My Way
Undoubtedly, one of the biggest rock songs of the year and the decade for that matter.
11. Elastica-Stutter
A song about impotence was the lead up to Elastica's huge hit Connection. And it still rocks.
12. Smashing Pumpkins-Cherub Rock
The intro to Siamese Dream is still, to me, their finest moment. It's all in the first 30 seconds of that song.

7 Albums Worth Revisiting From 1993:
1. Smashing Pumpkins-Siamese Dream
2. Liz Phair-Exile In Guyville
3. Pearl Jam-Vs.
4. Nirvana-In Utero
5. The Afghan Whigs-Gentlemen
6. Dinosaur Jr.-Where You Been
7. Depeche Mode-Sogs Of Faith And Devotion

Random Quote From A Song From 1993:
"Oh, I thought the world of you/I Thought Nothing Could Go Wrong, But I Was Wrong...I Was Wrong."
"The Do You Have To" Song

Random Thoughts On A Song From 1993:

Maybe I've forgotten the name and the address
Of everyone I've ever known, It's nothing I regret

New Order had a bit of anticipated "comeback" album in 1993 with Republic. It was their first full length album since 1989's "Technique". In the face of full out grunge, harder gangster rap and U2 flying off to Zooropa, New Order's first single "Regret" still managed to find it's own address when it was released in the spring of 1993. It became a staple for me through the summer of 1993 and still sounds fresh today. The guitar line is punchy, the drums moving, and Peter Hook's bassline, like many New Order Songs, is simply punishing. Plus the sentiment hits home. The chorus: "I would like a plcae I could call my own, have a conversation on the telephone....You were a complete stranger...now you are mine." Bernard Sumner looks at life from a nomad's point. He wonders if he can finally find a home, true love..and if the decisions he's made have put him in the right place. He may also be fooling himself thinking there's nothing he regrets. 19 years later, I feel a lot of "Regret", sometimes I feel I've taken the part of the character Sumner bitter-sweetly portrays himself as. Who doesn't want comfort, home, love you can count on. It's one of my favorite songs of all time because of these reasons. Just wait til tomorrow...I guess that's what they all say...Right?
...a shallow fuse burning out of time....

Source: http://www.jhostation.com/2012/02/year-was1993.html

Rogue Wave Mystery Jets Final Fantasy The Sounds

No comments:

Post a Comment