Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Ranking the Albums: Smoking Popes

One of my favorite bands, Smoking Popes, will be in town on July 26 at the Conservatory. I'm pretty stoked about being able to see them.

Dave suggested that I do a ranking the albums post on them. I did one of these back in March on the Dropkick Murphys. Like that one, this ranking is based on studio albums only. Not live albums. Not compilation albums. Not splits with other bands. Just studio albums.

So here it is.....

Destination Failure
This album was released in 1997 by Capitol Records.
Singles from the album included "I Know You Love Me" and "Before I'm Gone."
My personal favorites from the album are "No More Smiles" "Before I'm Gone" "Megan" "Pure Imagination" and "Pretty Pathetic."

This Is Only a Test
This is their newest album that was released in March of 2011 by Asian Man Records.
It might be a little strange that such a new album ended up so high on the list but I've it really is a great record and I consider it to be a much better album than its predecessor Stay Down.
Personal favorites on this album are "Wish We Were" "College" "Punk Band" "Diary of a Teen Tragedy" and "Letter to Emily."

Get Fired
This was their first full-length album. It was released in 1993 by Johanns Face Records. It was the first album that I had ever heard by them. I picked it up at the Wax Trax Record store in Chicago.
My personal favorites on Get Fired are "Lets Hear It For Love" "Let Them Die" and "Not That Kind of Girlfriend."

Born to Quit
This one was originally released in 1994 by Johanns Face and then was re-issued by Capitol Records after they signed with them.
Personal favorites are "Rubella" "Need You Around" and "Adena."

Stay Down
Released in 2008, this was the first studio album that was released after they reunited. It was released by Curb Appeals Records.
My favorites on the album are "Welcome to Janesville" "If You Don't Care" and "Stefanie."
To be honest though, I'm really just now trying to absorb the album because when it first came out I was kind of disappointed with it.

The Partys Over
This album was released by Double Zero Records in 2001. It was supposed to be the band's last release for Capitol Records but the lable rejected it and let them out of their contract. This was the last album released before the band broke up.
It is an album of covers by artists such as Willie Nelson, Burt Bacharach and Kris Kristofferson.
I was not really a big fan of this album and I don't have any favorites on the album.

Source: http://otterlimits.blogspot.com/2011/07/ranking-albums-smoking-popes.html

Jeremy Jay Summer Hymns What Made Milwaukee Famous Luke Haines

No comments:

Post a Comment