Saturday, July 30, 2011

A Great Year for Music

At the end of the year, I've made a habit of compiling a list of my favorite albums of that year. Usually I start thinking about the list in November or December, but this year I'm already starting to struggle with what albums should be at the top of my list. My struggle is solely due to the fact that there are just so many great albums being released this year.

You've got your heavy hitters releasing absolutely fantastic albums: Arcade Fire, Sufjan Stevens, LCD Soundsystem, The National, Stars, Spoon and Vampire Weekend. All these albums have been in heavy rotation since their respective releases.

Then you've got your up and coming bands trying to make names for themselves: Hammock, Cloud Cult,  Broken Bells, Gayngs, Jeremy Messersmith, Menomena, Ra Ra Riot and School of Seven Bells. Each of these bands have crafted albums that really caught my attention and are poised to join the big leagues.

Finally, I've been charmed by a number of little known bands like Under Byen, Amiina, Dessa, Engineers, Olafur Arnalds and The Twilight Sad.

And the crazy thing is, there are still more great albums looking to be released before the end of the year and year 2011. Plus, rumors of projects nearing completion from Radiohead and Iron & Wine.

Like I said, the year-end list will be particularly tricky this year.

Source: http://iguitaround.blogspot.com/2010/10/great-year-for-music.html

Great Lakes Holiday Flyer The Hush Sound The Lodger

No comments:

Post a Comment