Wednesday, June 27, 2012

New & Noteworthy: The Tallest Man On Earth, Yeasayer, The Gaslight Anthem, The Lumineers

The Tallest Man On Earth-"1904"
I'm getting to the point of being a fan of Kristian Matsson's material that whatever I hear I love. I love a lot of music but something about the simplicity but yet thoughtful songs he pens are just truly up my alley. I first got turned on to this Swedish folk songwriter when I heard "The Dreamer" from the EP "Sometimes The Blues Is Just A Passing Bird" in late 2010. Then I went back and listened to the LP "The Wild Hunt" released earlier that same year and loved it as well. Now I'm giddy for the proper follow "There's No Leaving Now" which is due for a June 12th release. The first offering is a song circling around Matsson's view of death. The audio clip for "1904" is below. Enjoy!
_______________________________________________________________________________
 Yeasayer-"Henrietta"
It's been well over two years since Yeasayer released their sophomore LP "Odd Blood. And while I thought it was a mixed bag, the highlights definitely kept me intrigued in these guys from Brooklyn. I still enjoy those highlights ("Ambling Alp", "Madder Red", "O.N.E.", "Love Me Girl") today. So it's been rumored a new album would surface this year but no concrete evidence yet. But they have released a song for fan-club members titled "Henrietta". If it's on a new LP or not is yet to be seen. But I like what I hear. Yeasayer will be making the round this summer at a few stops (six total as of now) in the U.S.
_______________________________________________________________________________
The Gaslight Anthem-"45"
The Gaslight Anthem has signed on with a major label and their first album with Mercury Records called "Handwritten" is due out on July 24th. The first song "45" was just released for listening pleasure this week and it sounds like Brian Fallon hasn't let a move to a major label tone down his style. With producer Brendan O'Brien (credited for countless Pearl jam and Springsteen albums) on board, I have a feeling this could be a breakout year for The Gaslight Anthem. And a well deserved one at that. I can't think of a band right now who isn't afraid to wear the "Rock 'n Roll" moniker like these do so well. Here's hoping all of "Handwritten" follows their previous works and "45"'s grandeur. If you say rock is dead, you're clearly not listening to The Gaslight Anthem. A list of concerts is here for 2010.
_______________________________________________________________________________

 The Lumineers-"Ho Hey"
Maybe not new but new to me I guess. This Denver based folk band is definitely noteworthy. Their self titled debut was released last month and is a $5 pick for MP3 download on amazon.com. I picked it up last week and wasn't disappointed. If you like the Amricana leanings of The Avett Brothers, you're going to like The Lumineers. "Ho Hey" is a favorite of mine right now. The official video is below. They'll be playing 2 shows at Radio Radio in my hometown of Indianapolis next Thursday and Friday night. I'll unfortunately not be in attendance. The Friday show is sold out which means they're catching on quickly. So go check them out and give their debut album a try.

Source: http://www.jhostation.com/2012/05/new-noteworthy-tallest-man-on-earth.html

Holiday Flyer The Hush Sound The Lodger Smoosh

No comments:

Post a Comment