Monday, February 7, 2011

The year was....1987

Random Playlist For 1987:
1. Depeche Mode-Never Let Me Down Again
"I'm taking a ride with my best friend...."
2. LL Cool J-I'm Going Back To Cali
I don't think so.
3. Guns' n Roses-Welcome To The Jungle
Broke so many barriers when this came out in 1987, like, rock music not sucking as much.
4. Prince-If I Was Your Girlfriend
"Could I wash your hair? Could I make you breakfast sometime?"
5. Pet Shop Boys-It's A Sin
Just looking at chart positions, "It's A Sin" hit #1 virtually everywhere in 1987, #9 in the States.
6. Bruce Springsteen-Tunnel of Love
The Boss departs with the E Street Band and releases an underrated album with some great singles.
7. The Jesus & Mary Chain-Happy When It Rains
I'm usually kinda happy when it rains as well. But I'm not "Only" happy when their is liquid precipitation.
8. The Replacements-Alex Chilton
The homage to the leader of Big Star sung by another legend Paul Westerberg.
9. The Cure-Why Can't I Be You?
"I'm smitten, I'm bitten, I'm hooked, I'm cooked, I'm stuck like glue" & Mr. Smith dances in a bear costume.
10. The Smiths-Ask
You know, it really is the bomb, not love, that will bring us together....
11. Suzanne Vega-Luka
The most successful song to deal with domestic violence...or at least close to it.
12. The Bangles-Hazy Shade Of Winter
Art Garfunkel and Mr. Simon, The Bangles rocked this one out gentlemen.

7 Albums Worth Revisiting From 1987:
1. Guns 'n Roses-Appetite For Destruction
2. R.E.M.-Document
3. U2-The Joshua Tree
4. Eric B & Rakim-Paid In Full
5. Prince-Sign O' The Times
6. Husker Du-Warehouse: Songs & Stories
7. The Smiths-Strangeways, Here We Come

Random Quote From A 1987 Song:
My World Is Your World/People Like To Hear Their Names/I'm No Exception/Please Call My Name
The "It's All The Same Thing" Song:

Random Thoughts On A Song From 1987:
From the "Mediate" part of the video.
If one band broke bigger than anyone else in 1987, it had to be INXS with their multi to the tenth power platinum album "Kick". True a lot of songs to get it to that high status were relased a year later, but the first single "Need You Tonight" started the ball rolling in late 1987. It is perhaps the ultimate dance rock hybrid song of the decade with jagged guitars, electronic percussion and an ever memorable vocal performance from Michael Hutchence slyly playing the seducer looking for a late night booty call ("I need you tonight, cause I'm not sleeping, there's something about you girl, that makes me sweat.") It's all slick but all so memorable like just about every song on "Kick" The video tremendously helped the success of the song along with the song "Mediate" to help INXS become the following year's darlings. Being in junior high school at the time, I don't remember anyone really hating on INXS, they were fashionable enough for the 120 minute kids, accessibly rocking enough for the classic rock kids, and not annoying enough to hate for the metal kids. In this perspective, "Kick" became the "Switzerland" of music for my generation at that time. Something everyone remembers and enjoys in some large or small capacity. "Need You Tonight" was the olive branch.
"So slide over here..."

Source: http://www.jhostation.com/2011/01/year-was1987.html

Mystery Jets Final Fantasy The Sounds Shop Assistants

No comments:

Post a Comment