Saturday, February 26, 2011

Currently Watching: Firefly

Here is another TV show I recently just started watching. Once again, I am watching it based on a friend's recommendation. The same friend, in fact, that recommended the show Dollhouse. I liked that show so much, and based on the fact that the same guy that created Dollhouse (see Currently Watching: Dollhouse) also created this one, I figured the guy has good taste in TV shows so I would try it out.

I have to admit that the first episode, titled Serenity, started out pretty slow and I was starting to get worried that this show was, quite frankly, going to suck. However, once that first episode got going, I was hooked. It is a great show. It's got everything.

You like sci-fi? It's got it. You like westerns? It's got it.

It reminds me a bit of a module of a role-playing game I used to play back in the day called Rifts. I can't help but think that Joss Whedon is probably a gamer of some sort.

It is basically about a group of space smugglers that are on the run from the "Alliance" the legitimate "galactic" government (similar in nature to Star Wars' Empire) and the adventures that they get into as they go from job to job around the solar system. It takes place about 500 years in the future.

I am up to episode 6 now and look forward to watching the rest of the episodes. And after watching the whole season, I will be watching the "sequel" that was made into a theatrical movie titled Serenity, and from what I have been told, takes place 6 months after the conclusion of the events in the TV series.

Tragically, the show only last 1 season. Fox aired 11 episodes from September to December of 2002 and then cancelled it based on poor ratings, despite the fact that it had a huge fan base and despite the fact that 14 episodes were filmed.

Based on what I have seen so far, I definitely recommend watching this one.

Source: http://otterlimits.blogspot.com/2011/02/currently-watching-firefly.html

Sondre Lerche Half-Handed Cloud The Wombats Emily Haines

No comments:

Post a Comment