Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Tuesday's Top Ten: Smashing Pumpkins Songs

This ten hit me at the gym the other day when "Rhinoceros" came on the IPOD out of absolutely nowhere (like an old colleague you never thought you'd see again) which led me to think "Wow, it'll be twenty years this May since the Pumpkins released "Gish". Then that led to me a top ten, one that I found a little tougher than I expected.

Why? Because I'm sure fans of their biggest hits (No "Today", "1979", "Zero", "Tonight, Tonight", "Rocket"...didn't make my cut) would be miffed that most of their biggest hits are left off and die hard fans would be miffed for leaving off unpolished gems (nothing from their comeback or past decade, although I may be one of the few people who enjoyed the "Zwan" project..."Honestly"). So this ten would definitely lay somewhere in between these two extremes.

There's a poll on the sidebar with station to station's top ten and the big singles. Vote for as many faves as you like. Pretend like it's the mid-nineties again and Billy Corgan still likes everyone in his band. I may just try to listen to the whole "Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness" beginning to end this year. I've never done that before. 2011 resolutions. Anyways, here's my ten, "Cherub Rock" reigns the roost.

1. Cherub Rock ("Siamese Dream", 1993)
2. Muzzle ("Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness", 1995)
3. Frail and Bedazzled ("Pisces Iscariot", 1994)
4. Disarm ("Siamese Dream", 1993)
5. Drown ("Singles Soundtrack", 1992)
6. Siva ("Gish", 1991)
7. Bullet with Butterfly Wings ("Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness", 1995)
8. Ava Adore ("Adore", 1998)
9. Silverfuck ("Siamese Dream", 1993)
10. The Everlasting Gaze ("Machina/The Machines Of God", 2000)

Source: http://www.jhostation.com/2011/01/tuesdays-top-ten-smashing-pumpkins.html

The Stills Nellie McKay Juan Son Sissy Bar

No comments:

Post a Comment