Monday, August 13, 2012

The Year Was...1968

Random Playlist For 1968:
1. Big Brother and the Holding Company-Piece Of My Heart
I enjoy Janis Joplin more and more as I get older.
2. Cream-Crossroads
Pretty much a staple for three piece blues rock bands from this point on.
3. The Rolling Stones-Sympathy For The Devil
I'm so glad I got a chance to visit St. Petersburg last year. I instantly thought of this stepping off the boat.
4. Sly & The Family Stone-Dance To The Music
Sly could do no wrong for a short time with the band's first top ten single leading the way.
5. Steppenwolf-Born To Be Wild
I loved Steppenwolf's lesser known singles when I was younger. Never a fan of this one.
6. Tommy James & The Shondells-Crimson & Clover
Joan Jett had nothing on the original. The underwater vocal effect is stellar.
7. The Jimi Hendrix Experience-Voodoo Child (Slight Return)
Could be one of my favorite guitar intros of all time.
8. Grateful Dead-Dark Star
Exists as the 2 minute single or the 24 minute plus live jam. Take your pick.
9. The Byrds-You Ain't Goin' Nowhere
Another great Dylan cover by a band who was dropping band members like bad habits in 1968.
10. The Band-The Weight
Always unflappable. Seems to be more well known as the years go on. That would be called classic.
11. The Beatles-Revolution
You've got 1 and 9 (ugh) on the White Album. I prefer the rock version on the Hey Jude single.
12. Van Morrison-Madame George
It really is 9 minutes plus of pastoral beauty from Morrison.

7 Albums Worth Revisiting From 1968:
1. The Jimi Hendrix Experience-Electric Ladyland
2. The Rolling Stones-Beggars Banquet
3. The Beatles -The Beatles "White Album"
4. The Kinks-The Kinks Are The Village Green Preservation Society
5. The Byrds-The Notorious Byrd Brothers
6. Simon & Garfunkel-Bookends
7. Johnny Cash-At Folsom Prison





Random Quote From A Song From 1968:
I left my home in Georgia/Headed for the Frisco Bay/Cuz I've had nothing to live for/And look like nothing's gonna come my way
"Watchin' The Tide Roll Away"

Random Thoughts On A Song From 1968:
I have fond memories when I think of 1968's debut album from California Psychedelic Rock outfit Iron Butterfly. My father had it on vinyl. The album cover had a dog bite mark in the lower corner of it. Apparently, my parents basset hound, Ralph, wasn't fond of Iron Butterfly. It may also be that Ralph was a bit confused being a female dog with a male's name. I remember as a kid pulling out the LP to listen to it on the record player and noticing that Side 2 only had one song on it. It was the title track to the album. I asked why there was only one song in which my father responded it was one long jam that was popular back in the late 60's. He didn't explain that the song title, "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida", was supposed to be "In The Garden Of Eden" but lead singer Doug Ingle coined the phrase when he slurred the song title during a recording rehearsal. The new name stuck. I also remember getting a drum set when I was, I don't know, 8 years old maybe. My parents encouraged me to learn how to play along with this song first. Maybe it was to keep me busy for seventeen plus minutes or maybe I just grew up in a house that overflowed with flower power (I imagine both). I gave up drums shortly after and I can honestly say that I haven't listened to the full length song all the way through since I was maybe ten years old. For one mammoth of a song, I've got enough memories and stories about it to pass on to my child someday. And I was yn't close to being born yet in 1968. Maybe Ralph did the right thing chewing on that album. Even he wait I'm sorry, she couldn't take the bloated jam that was "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida." Forty four years later, Ralph would be happy to know I've shared the dog's story on a blog that randomly discusses music from my life.
"Please Take My Hand"

Source: http://www.jhostation.com/2012/07/year-was1968.html

April March Kerli Interpol The Helio Sequence

No comments:

Post a Comment