Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Movie Review: Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths

Last night I was surfing through the movies in the instant play section of Netflix and found this one.

This one was originally released in February 2010.

It is about an alternate earth in the DC universe where Lex Luthor is the leader and lone survivor of his Earth's Justice League and a bunch of superhuman beings that are similar to some of our DC universe's heroes but are evil.

It stars (voice-wise) Mark Harmon as Superman, William Baldwin as Batman, Nolan North as Green Lantern, Jonathan Adams as Martian Manhunter, Josh Keaton as The Flash, James Woods as Owlman (similiar to Batman), Gina Torres as Superwoman (I'm guessing she is supposed to be based on Superman but I'm not exactly sure) and Brian Bloom as Ultraman (who seems more likely to be based on Superman).

One thing I found interesting about the film was the cameos by Aquaman, Black Canary, Firestorm and Red Tornado, because these are heroes in the DC Universe that you almost never hear about.

While the movie wasn't terrible, it did lack something. I can't quite place my finger on it. The story was decent enough. Perhaps it was the fact that this particular story in the DC Universe, in a way, has been done to death. The whole idea of alternate Earths and the inhabitants of those alternate Earths.

The movie did get me to thinking and got me to start do some refresher reading (so to speak) about the DC Multiverse. Personally, I think the DC Universe should have stayed the way it was after Crisis on Infinite Earths got rid of all the alternate versions of Earth instead of turning it into one giant multiverse again.

Could just be me.

Anyway, I guess the movie is worth at least one viewing for you comic book geeks out there.

Other animated features in the DC Animated Universe that are worth checking out are Superman: Doomsday (based on the Death of Superman storyline), Green Lantern: First Flight, Superman/Batman: Public Enemies, and Batman: Under the Red Hood. Another one was released in September 2010 called Superman/Batman: Apocalypse but I have not seen it yet. I'm looking forward to watching it because it includes the villain Darkseid. Next year, 2 more highly anticipated DC animated movies will be released (well, highly anticipated by me anyway). The first, which will be released in June is Green Lantern: Emerald Knights, which I'm sure will somehow tie into the live action movie being released about the same time. The second, however, which I am really excited about, it an animated version of Frank Miller's Batman: Year One, which is scheduled for release in September.

Source: http://otterlimits.blogspot.com/2010/12/movie-review-justice-league-crisis-on.html

The Go! Team The Honey Buzzards Helen Marnie Malcolm Middleton

No comments:

Post a Comment