Saturday, July 21, 2012

Ween Calls It A Day After 25 Years (Personal Favorite)

While on vacation last week, I missed the news that Gene and Dean Ween were putting their experimental band Ween to rest after 25 years of making music. Lead vocalist Aaron Freeman (aka Gene) said he was retiring Gene Ween to explore other musical opportunities.

So what does Ween leave behind? 11 studio albums and a handful of live albums. And of course, their breakthrough single "Push Th' Little Daisies" with what one friend once told me was "The most annoying vocals ever recorded to tape." Sure Gene Ween's helium like vocals were in an octave no one could bare to touch and could be like nails on a chalkboard, but "Daisies" is so ridiculously catchy and kitschy that it couldn't be denied. I always thought the Ween's sense of humor was in the same vein of The Dead Milkmen, another Eastern Pennsylvania outfit, and that they were taking the torch from the Milkmen and journeying though the 90's as the next rock comedy event.

And while some may say they dipped into obscurity, diehards will point to the fact at how wildly creative their output was for their remaining years. For me they would always pop on a late night TV show performing a song that sounded really good or release a video that made me laugh my ass off. Their album "Chocolate and Cheese" (which besides the awesome title has a titillating album cover, literally) features a couple songs I played at my college radio station in the mid-90's. I was never a diehard, but I admired Gene and Dean for their longevity.

So today, I say goodbye to Ween with three favorites of mine from the band. You were, sincerely, a one of a kind band who threw a little of everything from rock to power pop to soul to the kitchen sink in your eclectic mix. I can't think of a quirkier band that's ever existed. R.I.P.







Source: http://www.jhostation.com/2012/06/ween-calls-it-day-after-25-years.html

The Format This Is Ivy League Supercute! We Are Scientists

No comments:

Post a Comment