Monday, January 31, 2011

CD Review: Hard Times and Nursery Rhymes

Social Distortion's new album was released yesterday, November 18, 2011 by Epitaph Records. I can not tell you how eagerly I was awaiting the release of this album. I could not wait to get to the store yesterday morning to rip the wrapping off this CD and pop in my CD player. Social Distortion with a new album AND released by Epitaph Records! What could be more exciting?!?

And then......I listened to it.

Let me start off by saying that this is not a bad album, musically. The songs on it are decent. Well-polished, well-written. Good songs.

However, I do not think they belong on a Social Distortion release.

I think they might have been better off perhaps as another Mike Ness solo album but certainly not a Social Distortion album.

Overall, I am kind of disappointed with the album. It is not the best album that Mike and Co could have released to follow up such great albums as Sex, Love and Rock n Roll and White Light, White Heat, White Trash.

My problem with it is that I don't think the songs really...well...they just didn't really "rock" as much as I was hoping. I think that Mike has probably mellowed out a bit too much for my taste. I guess the fact that he is getting close to 50 might have a little bit to do with it.

In any case, as I said, the songs on it are decent songs. I just don't think this is a good Social Distortion release. As a big Social D fan, I feel like I have been let down. I put my hopes up way too high I suppose.

I dunno. Listen to it for yourself. Maybe you won't be as disappointed in it as I am.

Source: http://otterlimits.blogspot.com/2011/01/cd-review-hard-times-and-nursery-rhymes.html

VV Brown Fat Tulips Farrah The Good Life

No comments:

Post a Comment