Wednesday, October 27, 2010

The year was....1994

Another installment of the year was...1994

12 random songs from 1994:
1. The Beastie Boys-Do It
Nice album track from "Ill Communication", ah let's do it. Grade: A-
2. Live-Iris
"Throwing Copper" was actually chalked full of good tracks that Live never matched again. Grade: A-
3. Weezer-Say It Ain't So
"Your love is a heartbreaker." Grade: A
4. Dave Matthews Band-Ants Marching
If you saw DMB now, you'll probably get a 32 minute version of this hit. Grade: B
5. Ass Poneys-Little Bastard
A weird little one hit wonder that's still sits in 1994 firmly. Grade: B-
6. The Cranberries-Zombie
Back when the Cranberries ruled the airwaves, with anything. Grade: B+
7. Soundgarden-The Day I Tried To Live
I like this better than Black Hole Sun. I like any Soundgarden song better than Black Hole Sun Grade: A-
8. Sponge-Plowed
In a world of human wreckage... Grade: A
9. Rancid-Burn
The original "We Don't Need No Water, Let the Motherfucker Burn" song. Grade: A-
10. Nine Inch Nails-March Of The Pigs
"Step Right Up!". Grade: A
11. Oasis-Digsy's Diner
1994, These could be the best days of our lives. Seems so nostalgic now. Grade: A-
12. Hootie & The Blowfish-Hold My Hand
Hey, why not. Can't think of a better 1994 12 pack finale. With a little love, and some tenderness. Grade: B+

7 Albums worth revisiting from 1994:
1. Jeff Buckley-Grace
2. Oasis-Definitely Maybe
3. Blur-Parklife
4. Weezer-Weezer (Blue Album)
5. Nine Inch Nails-The Downward Spiral
6. Portishead-Dummy
7. Stone Temple Pilots-Purple



Random Quote From a 1994 Song:
Music scene is crazy, bands start up each and every day/I saw another one just the other day/A special new band/I remember lying/I don't remember a line/I don't remember a word/But I don't care, I care, I really don't care/Did you see the drummer's hair?
The song is....


Random Thought On A Song From 1994:
At first listen back in 1994, all I could think was "Why have the Jesus and Mary Chain released an all acoustic album?" They were the masters, in my eyes, of feedback drenched surf pop rock songs that could give me an alternative to the alternative that was now the mainstream on radio. "Sometimes Always", the first single for the album, has and always will be a song that has a special place in my heart. For one, they brought in Hope Sandoval from Mazzy Star, who was dating one of the Reid brothers at the time, to duet on the song. And secondly, the call and response with Jim Reid is simplistic bliss. Hope says, "You've been away but now you're back." Jim says "I've been away but now I'm back." It's a sort of acoustic ditty for estranged relationships, but one with a lot of simple heartfelt feelings for a love that is never meant to be. Now it's college nostalgia for me. "Stoned & Dethroned" had a few other songs that I liked "Between Us", "Come On", and "Girlfriend", but seems a bit uneven to listen to now. That November, getting to see JAMC at Metropol in the Burgh, was anything but an acoustic show. It turned into a drunken wall of sweaty feedback sound as they revisited older songs and Mazzy Star opened with shoegazing pride. Good times...and my look back at 1994 nostalgically ends here, "Lucky Son Of A Gun."
"I gave but you just threw it back"

Source: http://www.jhostation.com/2010/09/year-was1994.html

April March Kerli Interpol The Helio Sequence

No comments:

Post a Comment