Sunday, August 21, 2011

The Best 2:20 Songs Of All Time (Or At Least In My iTunes)

So driving home from work Wednesday night, I've got my playlist on the IPOD going with new and old favorites when Wire's "Ex-Lion Tamer" from their absolute stunner of an album "Pink Flag" came blasting through the speakers. I thought, "What a great song...the chorus is killer and the energy is bar none." And the way my "Mathematical" mind works (a Spoon reference or for those who know me well, very sadly true) I thought what a great to post this on the blog..songs that are killer under two minutes (because a lot of "Pink Flag" has under two minute classics on it). But I ran into a problem as the song ran down to it's climactic ending...."Ex-Lion Tamer" is 2:20. "No, this can't be????" But alas. 2:20.

Wire, The Star Player of the 2:20 Club.
So my new idea. A post with the best 2:20 songs of all time...or at least in my iTunes. Criteria is simple enough, be 2:20 in the time column in the iTunes. And low and behold, I've got 25 songs (from Springsteen to the Beatles to Pearl Jam to Beach Fossils) in that time frame. But I'm not including Hayseed Dixie's version of "Money Talks" or the Drive -By Truckers creepy "You And Your Crystal Meth". Nine seems like a fair number (Starting baseball roster, right?) and I don't feel like giving this a top ten tag. So check out the 9 below that are 2:20. And check your own iTunes or whatever device you have for music on your computer and see if you've got anymore to add. I'll feature my favorite 9 and list the other seventeen at the end of post.

So here is a topic worth divulging. The best 2:20 songs life has to offer (I highly doubt I'll do this with 3:34 songs but don't push...that could be coming in November if the feeling is right!) YouTube times may not reflect the 2:20, but we're not going with that.

The Starting 9:

#1 2:20
Artist: Wire
Song: Ex-Lion Tamer
Album: Pink Flag
The Money Line: "Stay glued to your TV set"
2:20 Thermometer: 100%



#2 2:20
Artist: The Beatles
Song: The End
Album: Abbey Road
The Money Line: "The love you take is equal to the love you make"
2:20 Thermometer: 100%



#3 2:20
Artist:The Smiths
Song: Panic
Album: The Best Of The Smiths Vol. 1
The Money Line: "Burn down the disco/Hang the blessed DJ"
2:20 Thermometer: 98%



#4 2:20
Artist: Bruce Springsteen
Song: Factory
Album:Darkness On The Edge Of Town
The Money Line: "It's the working, the working, just the working life"
2:20 Thermometer: 97%



#5 2:20
Artist: Pearl Jam
Song: Comatose
Album: Pearl Jam
The Money Line: "Consider me an object/Put me in a vacuum"
2:20 Thermometer: 95%



#6 2:20
Artist: The Magnetic Fields
Song: Yeah! Oh, Yeah!
Album: 69 Love Songs
The Money Line: "Are you longing to be free?/Do I drive you up a tree?/Yeah!, Oh Yeah!"
2:20 Thermometer: 93%



#7 2:20
Artist: Husker Du
Song: I'll Never Forget You
Album: Zen Arcade
The Money Line: "Never cared about me/Only wanted to be your friend/And"
2:20 Thermometer: 91%



#8 2:20
Artist: Beach Fossils
Song: Twelve Roses
Album: Beach Fossils
The Money Line: "And I've seen roses twelve feet tall/Hearts on their shoulders and that's not all"
2:20 Thermometer: 90%



#9 2:20
Artist: The Monkees
Song: No Time
Album: Headquarters
The Money Line: "Hobaseeba snick/Seeberraber hobosoben"
2:20 Thermometer: 90%



Substitutions or Riding The Pine...2:20
CCR-My Baby Left Me 2:20
Liz Phair-Girls! Girls! Girls! 2:20
Hayseed Dixie-Money Talks 2:20
The Replacements-Favorite Thing 2:20
Outkast-God (Interlude) 2:20
Mark Erelli-Pretend 2:20
Brian Wilson-Child Is The Father Of The Man 2:20
Journey-Stay Awhile 2:20
Sonic Youth-Beauty Lies In The Eye 2:20
Drive-By Truckers-You And Your Crystal Meth 2:20
Parts And Labor-Bright White 2:20
Thin Lizzy-Don't Believe A Word (Live) 2:20
Pearl Jam-Breakerfall 2:20
The Beastie Boys-Tadlock's Glasses 2:20
Miles Davis-Israel 2:20
Uncle Tupelo-No Depression (Alternate Take) 2:20

Have any more? Feel free to leave your 2:20 in the comment box below.

Source: http://www.jhostation.com/2011/08/best-220-songs-of-all-time-or-at-least.html

Katy Rose Kevin Barnes Lisa Mitchell Trembling Blue Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment